This course has been designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to perform the role and responsibilities of a switching operator on the high voltage single wire earth return (SWER) network.
Training refresher: 36 months
Want to book for more than 8 people?Submit a training availability enquiry
You must hold a valid Queensland Electrical Licence before enrolling in this course. You will need to attach a scanned copy to your course booking form.
Queensland Electrical Licence training is not offered by EsiTrain, please find an alternative provider.
Upcoming Course Sessions
All sessions for this course are fully booked. If you would like to enquire about future sessions, please complete a training availability enquiry form.
On successful completion of this module including all prerequisites and assessments you should have these skills:
- Outline the roles and responsibilities of persons performing switching and access work on or near the distribution network
- Outline the types of documents incorporated into Energy Queensland’s safe system of work on or near high voltage networks
- Identify required the equipment and Personal Protective Equipment required for the safe operation of a high voltage network
- Explain the purpose and operation of SWER high voltage electrical apparatus
- Explain distribution high voltage SWER network testing and earthing requirements
- Write, check, and issue and cancel Access Permits and Test Permits
- Outline safety constraints when performing distribution switching
- Outline distribution feeder protection operation
- Explain distribution commissioning requirements
- Read and interpret distribution operational diagrams and symbols
- Write and check SWER On Demand Transformer Isolation Sheet under the direction of Switching Coordinator
- Outline the process and constraints involving switching communication protocol, switching sheet amendments, master switching sheets
- Demonstrate the operation of various overhead and underground electrical apparatus according to requirements set out in manufacturer’s instructions, work practices and equipment operating manuals
- Demonstrate field switching in accordance with prepared switching sheets in planned and emergency situations